New Moon Kitchen cookies contain refined sugar and vanillin - think CHARRED ANIMAL BONES and PETROCHEMICAL

Here I was, all set to write a nice post about these great "vegan" cookies from New Moon Kitchen in Toronto, only to discover that the chocolate chips in some of their cookies are made with REFINED sugar.

Not only is refined sugar NOT what I would call "totally natural," but CHARRED ANIMAL BONES are often used to refine sugar.

The chips also contain vanillin which is typically made from a PETROCHEMICAL RAW MATERIAL.

I've just polished off heaven knows how many of these things. I think I am going to be sick.

Charred animal bones and petrochemical raw material in my clean kitchen?
This is what happened. Toni, a reader of this blog, works at a health food bakery in Toronto called New Moon Kitchen. Toni thought I might be interested in their cookies, so she sent me some.

I fell in love with the Momints (mint chocolate chip) cookies. Here is the ingredient list which is on their site and on their bag:
Organic Spelt Flour (whole and light)
Evaporated Cane Juice
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Dutch Cocoa
Organic Raw Sugar
Sunflower Oil
Peppermint Leaves
Baking Soda
Sea Salt
Liquid Lecithin
Peppermint Oil
Water

Sure, they are loaded with sugar (which explains why these cookies are 80 calories each), but, really, it is not a bad ingredient list.

But I did wonder, what are in those chocolate chips?

So I email Toni and ask what is in the chocolate chips
And this is what she emailed me:
Sugar, chocolate liqour, cocoa butter, soya lecithin, vanillin

I could certainly see why New Moon Kitchen would not want to put sugar (think charred animal bones) or vanillin (think petrochemical) on their ingredient list.

So do we have charred animal bones and a petrochemical raw material in our cookie, thanks to New Moon Kitchen?
The sugar in those chocolate chips is a refined white sugar. As you know, charred animal bones is often used in the refining process. A process whose only purpose is to give sugar its white color.

And one of the flavorings is vanillin. Most vanillin is synthetic, produced from a petrochemical raw material.

Yuck.

Was it a greedy money-grab or just incompetence?
I don't know if this is just a stupid mistake or pure greed, but in ether case, for more than ten years (according to their Website, the company has been in business since 1997) vegetarians, vegans, buyers in well-respected health food stores such as The Big Carrot and Noah's Natural Foods, and anyone else trying to eat a healthy diet has trusted New Moon Kitchen.

I would be very, very interested to see what New Moon Kitchen says on their Website about this and how they plan to make it up to all those people who counted on them.