Balsamic, yes? Alas, balsamic, no.

Ignoring my own advice (and, in my own defense, not having any berries on hand), I decided to serve segments of oranges splashed with balsamic vinegar on top of my Orange-Yogurt Cake last night (see yesterday's post if you want the recipe). Here’s how it went.

“The oranges are brown.”

“Yeah. I know. I tried something new.”

“The cake is good.”

“Thank you.”

“Why are the oranges brown?”

“What do you think of them?”

“They are good. Like oranges. Only brown.”

“I put balsamic vinegar on them.”

“It does nothing for them.”

“Yeah. I know.”

“Except turn them brown.”

“Yeah. I know.”

“You shouldn’t put it on them.”

“Ya think?”

And so ends another experiment while opening another Learn-from-Me moment. Here it is: Cake = good; Oranges + balsamic = bad. Well, if not downright bad, a waste of good balsamic. And it does turn them a mottled brown. A color you really don’t want in your meal.