Now we're all in trouble

Krispy Kreme is coming out with the most truly adorable doughnuts in the history of the universe, just in time for Valentine's Day or, as I like to call it, Let's Get Fat Day.

I first discovered Krispy Kreme during a trip to Raleigh, North Carolina. The doughnut was so good, it transcended earthbound doughnuts, everywhere. Later, in a marketing class I was teaching, I used Krispy Kreme as a case study. I had contacted the company to get some of their marketing materials and they had generously sent us coupons for dozens of doughnuts which I gave to a student who, in turn, brought nearly 100 doughnuts to class.

After an orgy of doughnut-eating, after which students lay slumped and sprawled on the dusty classroom floor, one student looked up at me with sugar-bleary eyes and muttered, "You can taste the fat."

And I'm not sure if it was a hallucination brought on by all that sugar, but I swear my students, one by one, lapsed into diabetic comas before turning into the pink elephants from Dumbo and wafting away.

The doughnuts are that good. Alas.