Do you eat grubs? I do not. Nevertheless, here's an incredibly handy tip for cell phone users that want to know what the heck they are eating.

I hate (Did I say hate? Loathe. I loathe.) the name: GrubIQ. I, m'dear, do not eat grubs. I am not a bird. I do not scratch in the dirt. And I don't think a meal of juicy grubs is ever going to be on my menu.

And my discriminating readers feel - I am quite sure, thank you very much - exactly the same. So why you would name your clever product GrubID is beyond me.

Okay. So what is GrubIQ?
GrubIQ, available here, is a nutrition fact finder for mobile devices with Internet capabilities. Such as your cell phone. And your PDA.

Just picture it: You're sitting at your little local Italian joint, torn between vegetarian lasagna and cheese pizza, debating wine and anti pasta, and you wonder ... Which dish is more nutritious? What is the sodium level of these items? How many calories do these meals have?

Well wonder no longer because ... ta da! GrubIQ is here.

How it works
First, the big question: Do you have to install software onto your mobile device? Nope. None needed. Second: Do you have to sign up? Again, that's a big no. In fact, all you have to do is access the Internet, go to the site, and get the info you want.

What info can I get?
According to the news release: "in addition to commonly used nutrient information (protein, fat, carbohydrates, etc.), GrubIQ provides the details of up to 88 nutrients, including trans fats, amino acids, and sugars for over 7800 food products."

What does it cost?
Free and not free. The site is free. But your cell phone company will happily charge you for using the Internet to access it.

What's the neat part?
Say you wake up one morning and say to yourself, "Self, I am low on lycopene. Whatever shall I eat?" You go to the site (which you can also access from your computer, so that "I must know so I'll have to go get a double, full fat, half caramel, latte so I can use the cell" just isn't going to cut it) and type in the nutrient you are interested in. The site then tells you where to find said nutrient. Pretty clever, eh?

What's the not-so-neat part?
They base their info on a 100 gram serving size. If your serving size is off be even so much as a gram, the information will be off, too. Which is a downside the equivalent of many, many grams. (I also think it would be easier, in this country anyway, if they used more common measurements, such as ounces. FYI, 100 grams = 3.5 ounces. I hope your cell also has a calculator.)

So what's with the crummy name?
I dunno. But I envision seven execs in a conference room, bouncing ideas around while drinking burnt coffee loaded with too much white sugar and eating sandwiches with white bread and wilted lettuce (iceberg lettuce, at that) and thinking about what to do that weekend. If that's not a formula for a name like GrubIQ, I don't know what is.