One good way and two good recipes to help you get more fruit into your diet

Yesterday I talked about how to get more fruit into your diet. Forgetting, all along, that I came up with a new and totally delicious way this weekend.

New to me. Very old to about a zillion Indians who have been enjoying lassi forever. (Ah well, this is the first Indian brunch I have ever thrown.)

Lassi is a yogurt-based drink laced with something yummy. The version I like best is from Passionate Meals: The New Indian Cuisine for Fearless Cooks and Adventurous Eaters by Ismail Merchant (one half of the famous Merchant and Ivory producers - think A Room with a View and Howard's End and so on). Chock full of more than 200 hundred Indian recipes adapted for the western kitchen, this excellent book is, alas, out of print (off to the used bookstore, where I found my nearly pristine copy for five or six dollars). No time to trot off to the used bookstore? No worries! Because, for your very own dining enjoyment, I present to you, Ismail Merchant’s sweet lassi.
Recipe: Meethi Lassi
3 3/4 cups yogurt
3 3/4 cups water
½ cup rose water
1/4 cup sugar
1 dozen unsalted, shelled, and coarsely chopped pistachios

Mix until frothy. (You can store it in the fridge but, like oil and water, it will separate. No worries; a quick shake of the jar will mix it again.) It smells like rose heaven and tastes like a cool breeze on a hot day.
But I promised a good way to slip some fruit into your life. And the way to do that is with the more famous mango lassi. Here’s my take on the version from Julie Sahni’s Introduction to Indian Cooking.
Recipe: Aam Lassi
1 cup yogurt
1 cup mango purée
1/2 cup sugar
1 tray ice cubes

Again, mix until frothy.
Sounds gross, eh, drinking all that yogurt. I thought so, too. But trust me, it is actually good. Great, in fact. Let’s put it this way, my husband, who is not terribly fond of mangoes (such a bother; such a mess) and even less fond of yogurt just adored this. And I was totally delighted to get both fruit AND yogurt into the man in one fell swoop.

And it doesn’t hurt that this is pretty cheap. Especially if you use frozen mango chunks on sale, just like me.