Cholesterol: How to get it under control and still eat dessert (and, yes, I've included a food recipe), the sequel

Yesterday I promised you an even better cake recipe - one with no butter as well as no egg yolks. Here's to keeping that cholesterol low.

"Yes" to cake and "No" to butter, The Sequel: Lemon layer cake for a delicious dessert
The high-cholesterol egg yolks were a concern in the olive oil cake recipe from yesterday, and you do need to have more than one cake recipe, so I grabbed the lemon layer cake with curd and blueberries from a recent issue of Martha Stewart Living (I would post a link, but they have not posted the recipe). The cake calls for no butter. And no egg yolks. So, while I made the cake, I skipped the curd (not only does curd tend to call for raw egg yolks, a risk I was not willing to take, but yolks have cholesterol and if I included them, what was the point?) and substituted raspberries drizzled with balsamic.

The cake is a typical cake - moist and light. And a lovely alternative (although, if pressed, I would say I liked yesterday's olive oil cake better. But not by much.)

By the way, Ms Martha also has an Orange-Yogurt Cake that calls for no butter (although it does call for an egg) and is worth checking out. It is slightly tastier than this one, but, again, not as good as the olive oil cake.
Food recipe: Lemon layer cake
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup skim milk
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar

4 large egg whites


Preheat oven to 350.

Mix first three ingredients. In a second bowl, mix the next five ingredients plus 1/4 cup sugar. In a third bowl, whip egg whites. Gradually add remaining sugar (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) until stiff peaks form.

Add half of the flour mixture to the milk mixture. fold in remaining flour mixture in three batches, alternating with whipped eggs.

Pour batter into two 8" x 1 1/2" round cake pans (or 12 muffin pans). The instructions say to cook for 18 minutes, but I found it needed a few minutes more.