Food recipe: The world's fastest, easiest, yummiest vegetable

Welcome to Vegetable Food Recipe Week
To start Vegetable Food Recipe Week off right, I have selected: The acorn squash: The world's fastest, easiest, yummiest vegetable.

Don't believe me? Then let's jump right into the food recipe. If you don't believe me, perhaps you'll believe it.
Food recipe: Acorn squash
2 acorn squashes
2 pats of butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 450.

Cut the squashes in half . Scoop out the innards (the pits) and discard. Trim the top and bottom of each squash so the halves will stand up, when needed.

Place the four halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.

Remove the baking sheet from the oven, turn the squashes over, and drop equal amounts of butter and brown sugar in each cavity (where the pits were). Poke the flesh 3 or 4 times per half with a fork. Return to the oven for about 30 minutes (It is done when the flesh is quite soft.)

Eat with a spoon. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
See what I mean about easy? And fast. Why the preparation time takes all of 5 minutes (don't fuss about the cooking time - I use it do something critically important, like my nails). And it is cheap. Oh, so cheap. And absolutely delicious, yes? Of course yes!

Tips (as if you need them for something this simple):
  • The 2 pats of butter / 2 tablespoons brown sugar can be altered, according to your taste. You can also tinker with the recipe by adding spices, such as cinnamon, to the cavity. Unfortunately, however, I do not recommend substituting oil for the butter or white sugar for brown (tried when I realized we were out of brown sugar). I've attempted both and neither works (you lose flavor with each substitution). So I just try to keep the fat and sweet to the minimum (the amount I use in the recipe).
  • The squash can be tough to cut in half. Not as tough, mind you, as some other varieties. But tough enough. So use your biggest, sharpest chef knife and be very careful.
  • You can actually roast the seeds (toss with olive oil, salt, and roast on high heat, say 450 or so, for the better part of an hour), but I just never bother (what a bore, picking out all those sticky strands of flesh. Bah!)
  • If you want to make clean up easy, put some parchment paper or a Silpat on the baking sheet. I remember to do this, say, every third time. The other two times, I soak, soak, soak.
  • Cooking time is approximate. After all, it depends on the size of your squash. To make life easy for yourself, I recommend you buy squash that are about the same size. Two very different sizes mean two very different cooking times.
  • This recipe is fantastically easy to double or triple. And it is brilliant for kids (it's sweet and squishy - what else could they ask for?).
  • One whole squash (two halves) is a complete meal for me. Or one half and a little something else (baguette and salad, for example). I double this for my husband. Assuming I'm feeling generous.
Tomorrow, in day two of the soon-to-be-famous Vegetable Food Recipe Week (am I the only person who really thinks this blog needs an echo machine?) we visit the much maligned, but totally adorable, cauliflower. Cheers!