The one post anyone who ever bakes (and who ever deals with eggs) will find really helpful to read

Depending on what type of vegetarian you are, you may not eat eggs. In this case, this post won’t be of any help to you. At this point, I, however, do eat eggs. And last night, I hit a snag that I bet has plagued every baker since the day the first egg was graded.

I only had large eggs when the recipe I was making called for extra large.

Do I throw in an extra egg? Do I only throw in part of an extra egg, say, an extra yolk or an extra white? Do I try to cut a raw egg in half and add that to the batter? And if I do, how the heck do I cut a raw egg?

I didn’t come up with the solution. But my geek husband did.

A good egg
And this is what he did. He went online and found an egg equivalent chart in about two seconds. Leaving me not nearly enough time to have a full-blown panic attack.

Here’s a link to the egg equivalent chart he found. You have to scroll to the bottom to see it. Or you can just use my version, below.

My chart is based on large eggs. I did this because most recipes call for large eggs. Because of this, this is the size I always get.

And that works fine. Unless I hit the odd recipe that calls for eggs of a different size (such as what happened last night). Or I send someone who, purely hypothetically, is good on the Internet but not so good at buying eggs to get eggs (“Sizes? They come in different sizes?”) and we end up with something other than large. It happens.

Egg equivalent chart
  • 1 large egg = 1 egg in any size
  • 2 large eggs = 3 small or 2 medium or 2 x-large or 2 jumbo eggs
  • 3 large eggs = 4 small or 3 medium or 3 x-large or 2 jumbo eggs
  • 4 large eggs = 5 small or 5 medium or 4 x-large or 3 jumbo eggs
  • 5 large eggs = 7 small or 6 medium or 4 x-large or 4 jumbo eggs
  • 6 large eggs = 8 small or 7 medium or 5 x-large or 5 jumbo eggs

Put all your eggs in one basket

And, by the way, if you need a cup of eggs, I learned that it takes 5 large eggs to make 1 cup or 7 large egg whites or 14 large egg yolks.

My panic attack is your education. Pretty good deal, I hope!