"What to Eat," by Marion Nestle, is What to Read if you want to decipher food labels and figuring out What Foods to Buy

“What to Eat: An Aisle-by-Aisle Guide to Savvy Food Choices and Good Eating,” by Marion Nestle is the best book I have ever read about food. Bar none.

In fact, it is so good, that I want to tell you about it in two segments. Today, I’m going to talk a bit about the book and give you some of the very specific, very helpful, very great recommendations from this book. Recommendations you can take straight to the supermarket.

Then, tomorrow, I’m going to tell you the one big, and nasty, surprise I got from “What to Eat.” Only, in this case, it was a “What NOT to Eat.” And I won’t. Ever again.

The world's fastest book review for a book I already told you was great
"What to Eat" is big. Literally. As in drop it on your toe and you’ll regret it. But, still, it is so fascinating that I could have read something twice as long.

And therein lies the secret to this book: Marion Nestle (no relation to the famous Nestle company), writes with a clarity and ease and straightforwardness that not only makes this book eminently useful, but that also makes it incredibly easy to understand and equally pleasurable to read.

In other words, it was a thoroughly engrossing read. One that wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who eats. Which is everyone.

Big thoughts from a big book
But enough about my thoughts. Let’s turn to Dr. Nestle’s thoughts. Here are some of the best. For more, get yourself to a library, to Amazon, to your local bookstore, or wherever you get your books. And settle down with a nice bowl of crisp apples or sweet strawberries for one hell of a read.
  • “When you choose organics, you are voting with your fork for a planet with fewer pesticides, richer soil, and cleaner water supplies — all better in the long run. When you choose locally grown produce, you are voting for conservation of fuel resources and the economic viability of local communities, along with freshness and better taste. Once you consider such things, the choices in the produce section are much easier to make. Whenever I have the choice, here are my priorities in that section: (1) organic and locally grown, (2) organic, (3) conventional and locally grown, (4) conventional.”
  • “You do not have to drink milk to be healthy, but if you like drinking it, you can do so and also stay healthy.”
  • “The threat of mad cow disease, remote as it may be, is an excellent reason to buy Certified Organic meats, as I do whenever I can.”
  • “You really only need to consider two things when choosing salad and cooking oils: watch out for those calories (120 per tablespoon), and avoid hydrogenated vegetable oils because of their trans fat.”
  • “If you do not want your children eating pesticides, you will choose organic baby foods.”
You can read excerpts from "What to Eat" here. I suggest you don't bother. Just go get a copy of the book. The whole book. And enjoy.

(Oh, and do come back tomorrow when I'll tell you about the nasty surprise I got from this book.)