Absolutely gorgeous cheesy vegetable food recipe I am dying to try (as well as a bonus lemon food recipe for fun)

I have a cookbook problem.

I freely admit it. But writing for a living and cooking for fun means I am predisposed to having a cookbook problem.
(And it's gotten so bad that not only are there great stacks of books and magazines of all sorts of topics in every room of our home, but I must wrestle weekly with the toppling piles of reading material on our bedside tables and bedside chairs and bedside floors if I don’t want myself or my husband to break a neck during a midnight run to the bathroom.)

But of all the cookbook authors I have never read, the top of my list is Giada De Laurentiis (Were you familiar with her? I had only ever heard her name until I tripped across one of her books, purely by accident. Geez!). That is until today. When I flipped through her latest book and promptly found a recipe so temptingly yummy, I instantly put her on my “must read” list. (Yeah, yeah, the one that is something like 50 names long. Sigh.)

Now, for that wonderful recipe ...
Food recipe: Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables from Giada De Laurentiis
(The recipe is from her site. Alas, it appears to be the only recipe on her site. Which means I have to get to my used bookstore sooner, rather than later.)

2 red peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch strips
2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 cremini mushrooms, halved
1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch strips
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried Italian herb blend or Herbes de Provence
1 pound Barilla penne pasta
3 cups marinara sauce (store-bought or homemade)
1 cup grated fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated smoked mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/3 cup for topping
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

On a baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and onions with the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the herbs. Bake until tender, about 15 minutes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 6 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure it is not completely cooked. Drain in a colander.

In a large bowl, combine the pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, fontina, mozzarella, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, peas, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining pepper. Gently mix using a wooden spoon until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.

Pour the pasta into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese and butter pieces. Bake until the top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.

Yield: 6 servings

More, more, more!
Now, if you do want more of her recipes online, the Food Network site has lots. Such as this yummy treat.
Food recipe: Lemon Spaghetti
1 pound spaghetti
2/3 cup olive oil
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the oil, Parmesan, and lemon juice in a large bowl to blend.

Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped basil.

Pick a plate of pasta

So why my sudden interest in pasta? Well, one of the foods I am experimenting with these days is homemade pasta. Once I have it perfected, I’ll blog about it. But, for now, I can tell you it is incredibly easy, it makes an incredible mess, and it cooks incredibly quickly.

In other words, it is incredible.