Fruit and vegetables and herbs, oh my!

This time of year, I'm itching to get my fingers dirty. Dirty in earth, that is. Because, for the last month of so, I've been itching to grow something, anything.

The only problem is, I don't have a garden.

Sure, I can buy fresh fruit and vegetables and herbs at the market. But it's not the same. It's not the same at all.

Then I tripped across a solution.

Potting Shed Creations specializes in apartment-sized fruits and vegetables, herbs and flowers (yes, they do offer seeds for those of you blessed with a garden, but it is their generous selection of items specifically selected for the container gardener that makes them special). Of all their lines, there are three that really caught my eye.

Pail of pretties
First up is the biggest, the most extensive, and the most costly (although, at $32, we're not talking about breaking the bank) offering: Garden-in-a-Pail. Of the different varieties, my favorite is the Mixed Herb. Ideal for the apartment-bound almost vegetarian, it has everything you need to grown three culinary herbs: Basil, parsley, and garlic chives. Packaged in a large, galvanized (to resist rust) bucket, the kit even includes gardening gloves.
(Well, the gardening gloves may be a tad bit of overkill, but they makes me feel like an authentic gardener so I say to heck with anyone who scoffs and have you seen my sunscreen, m'dear.)

The other Garden-in-a-Pail offerings are flowers. Once I get the herbs down pat, I may go back for some nice zinnias.

Bag of wonders
As good as the pail is, with most of the offerings as non-edible flowers (don't get me wrong, I adore flowers, but I'm looking for nice things to eat) the Garden-in-a-Bag collection ($7.50) is where they really shine. At least for the hungry almost vegetarian. Why? Because they have everything from basil and oregano, to alpine strawberries and even mini tomatoes.

As with the Garden-in-a-Pail collection, this is a complete kit. Meaning, of course, that it has everything you need. Only, in this case, instead of a pail, you grow your selection in a leak-proof bag.

Won't these be sweet lined up on a windowsill.
(And, yes, they also have Garden-in-a-Bag flowers. Personally, I love some lavender for the heady scent.)

Tin me up, Scotty!

What's this? You don't need a container? You have a cupboard full of empty pots? A fresh bag full of sterilized soil? Then skip the above and head straight for the Pocket Gardens ($10.75).

Little tins containing a themed variety of five seeds, seedling markers, a pencil, and both instructions and recipes, the one that caught my eye is the gourmet salad garden. Containing seeds for spicy greens mix, all gourmet lettuce mix, deep purple bunching onions, pencil carrots and bite-sized tomatoes, it makes me hungry just thinking about it.

And this collection, too, offers flowers. Only these flowers are edible. Which makes them best of all.