You read labels for yourself, read labels for your children, read labels for your spouse, and now you can read labels for your cat

CatChannel.com (and who knew there was such a place) is launching a new video series called "Cooking and Crafting With CatChannel." (The alliteration is silly, eh?!)

With all the pet food recalls, the pet food part caught my eye. But, as I was looking around the Website, I found something even better. Something just perfect for the almost vegetarian pet owner who is as interested in what they are feeding their pet as they are in what they are feeding themselves and their families.

What are you feeding your cat?
Personally, I love the idea of making all the food my pet eats. My mother made a lot of the food our animals ate (and, boy, do I remember the smell of it: Horrible for people, amazingly delicious for dogs). If you have a cat and this interests you, then you might want to check out one of the CatChannel.com cooking videos: "Tempting Tuna Treats."

Right now, I have a pet with a heart condition so I can not start experimenting with his diet. So if you're like me and stuck giving your pet canned food, then I have a good find for you: An ingredient list that explains what the ingredients are in your pet's food.

Here are a few ingredients to get you started. If you want more, go on and visit the site.

Pet food ingredients

  • Erythorbic acid: Prevents the heat of canning from destroying food color.
  • Sodium nitrite: Used as an antimicrobial agent to kill bacteria and to help canned food maintain a pink color after processing.
  • Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 3: Food dyes used in chicken-based food to enhance color.
  • BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin: Artificial sources of preservatives.
  • Mixed tocopherols: Natural source of preservative from vitamin E but does not keep food fresh as long as artificial sources.
And while you're on the site, it may be worth your while to look at some of the other articles on cat food and nutrition, such as this interesting read.

Meow.