An absolutely delicious vegetarian recipe that is ... bonus! ... fast and easy

Okay, so it's late afternoon and I'm figuring out what to make for dinner. Not sure what my husband is in the mood for, I contact him at work and ask if the hot dish I have planned is okay.
So, does that sound good?

Yeah.

So, is that what you want?

Yeah. No, really, it's great.

Okay, then. That's what I'm going to make

And that's where things went haywire.

Four hours later, the man drags in, all hot and sweaty.
Oh, it's too hot out there.

I know, honey. Dinner will be ready soon.

Yeah. Listen, I don't want hot food when it is hot.

I asked you what you wanted.

I know. But I was in an air conditioned office. Now I'm not. And I don't want hot food.

Fast forward something like a small eternity as an entirely pointless spat ensues.

Okay, so we're agreed, when it is this hot, you'll just make a salad.

Yes, dear. But you could of told me when I asked what you wanted tonight.

Ooops! You'll need to fast forward just a wee bit more.
Okay, then?

Okay!

Fine?

Fine!

Well, okay. Just so you know.

Well, sure, dinner that night could have been more fun. But there was fun the next night. When, as luck would have it, the temperature plummeted (positively plummeted) and this icy breeze came right off the ocean and into our home.

Following instructions, I had a nice, chilled salad all waiting for the man. Which would have been his just rewards except for one problem. It was delicious.

Here is the recipe. It is from an old 2001 issue of Bon App├ętit (whenever people ditch their old food magazines, I snap those puppies right up and spend many a happy evening flipping, flipping, flipping through those pages). Eat it when it's hot outside. Eat it when it's cold. Either way, it's good.
Food recipe for rice salad with roasted red peppers and spicy black beans
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups water
1 cup basmati rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers from jar
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons minced chipotle chilies

Stir 3 teaspoons cumin in small dry skillet over medium heat just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Whisk lime juice and oil into skillet.

Stir turmeric and remaining cumin in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 2 cups water, rice and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Cool rice. Mix onions and half of dressing into rice. Season with salt and pepper.

Combine black beans, all peppers, cilantro, chipotle chilies, and remaining dressing in medium bowl. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

Mound bean mixture in center of platter. Surround with rice salad.

We both adored the meal, although my husband had the nerve to tell me, in all seriousness, that on chilly days he would prefer a hot meal. I chased him around the house with the biggest spoon I could find. Right after I licked it clean.