Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer comes through with vegetables and antioxidants (woo hoo!)

So I’m browsing through the new Trader Joe’s Fearless Flyer catalogue (yeah, the Trader Joe’s Fearless Flyer ... go’wan and laugh ... but my husband was listening to NPR [National Public Radio] and I needed something to occupy my mind) when I tripped across not one, but two interesting new products.

The first will help you get more vegetables into your diet. The second, more antioxidants.

And both for less than $5.

Fast food the vegetarian way
First up in the Fearless Flyer: Trader Joe’s Gourmet Grill Pack ($3.99). My first reaction was “How silly!” I see no reason why you can’t just buy the vegetables and prep them for the grill yourself. But then I thought about it. Some people need the work taken out of it for them (and, with vegetables, there is always plenty of work). And some nights, we just don’t have time to muck with vegetables. So, hey, I can see where this is a pretty fast and easy way to get more vegetables into your life. So, not bad. Not bad at all.

Oh, and as for the packs, they have everything from peppers and mushrooms to asparagus, eggplant, and an onion. All you have to do is brush them with oil and grill away. So now there's no excuse not to eat your vegetables.

“It ain’t easy being green”
On one hand we have green tea. Loaded with antioxidants, it should flow through every diet. On the other hand, we have the new energy drinks and their highly processed ingredients (including the ever-popular high fructose corn syrup) flooding our supermarkets. You know which one I’d rather drink. And that’s where Trader Joe’s steps in.

As with the grill packs, the Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Green Tea ($1.19) is sort of silly. After all, anyone can brew tea. But, you know, in our busy lives, sometimes there is a place for convenience. And if it is a choice between buying an energy drink and the Trader Joe’s green tea drink, once again, you can guess where I am heading.

So make your own when you can. But on those busy, busy days, it’s nice to know you’ve got options.