Welcome to the wonderful world of healthy vegetarian crackers

We like Nabisco crackers. I like Ritz crackers; I like Wheat Thins. And my husband loves to put Saltines in his soup (of which he is inordinately fond).

Then I flipped over the box for all three.

And, in each case, nestled ever so lovingly among other scary ingredients, was the one that makes me blanch: High fructose corn syrup.

So it's out with the old and in with the new. Namely, crackers the almost vegetarian can eat. Without blanching.

The good news is, I have found two crackers for our cracker-munching moments. Let me introduce you.

You, meet Wasa
Wasa is a hearty cracker (about three times the length and easily twice the depth of a saltine) with a wheaty taste (good, but not shy) and a helluva crunch. It comes in a number of varieties, including Multi Grain and Sesame. Here is the massive ingredient list for the Sesame version:
Wheat Flour, Sesame Seeds, Yeast, Canola and Palm Oil, Sugar, Sea Salt

Yeah. A pretty small list, eh? And all ingredients I can live with. It's not ideal, but it is better. A lot better. And it is in our kitchen, now.

Next up, I'd like to introduce you to Kavli
It, too, comes in a few different varieties, including Crispy Onion and Golden Rye. Here is the massive ingredient list for the Crispy Thin version:
Whole Rye Flour, Water, Salt

Now, if you are just switching from unhealthy crackers to these, healthier, varieties, this is the cracker I suggest you use as your bridge. It's such a mild-tasting little thing (as opposed to the Wasa which is an assertive cracker, erm, CRACKER), that you won't even know you've up and gone healthy on yourself. Better yet, your unsuspecting family, upon whom you've been trying your nefarious nutritional experiments, won't know either.

It's yummy. And it's snuggling with our Wasa crackers in the dark recesses of our pantry as we speak.

And now for the bad news ...
Both crackers are good plain and with all the usual toppings (cheese being, of course, the predictable choice). And, in both cases, you can pop the cheese-topped little suckers under the broiler for a decent snack (throw in an apple and I can swear I heard someone say "after-school").

However, there is one small speck of bad news in all this. I have discovered that all these healthy crackers are just great with butter. Sigh.

I'm trying.