The Almost Vegetarian falls off the bandwagon with a thud: Day 3

On day one we started out with a cooler full of healthy, vegetarian goodies and the best of intentions. On day two, we hit an insurmoutable roadblock and a hamburger. Now we're into day three and sinking fast.

You can run, but you can't hide
On the morning of the last day of our three-day road trip, my husband grabs my hand and drags me into the motel room breakfast area. We find the same thing as yesterday. Namely, more self-serve chemicals masquerading as food in the shape of white bread and cereal and pastries and juice and whatever. My husband says he was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. He was not.

When we peeked into our cooler, we found the ice had melted and our food was drenched. We threw away the cheese and carrots, but kept the apple and pear and water.

What to do now?

We may have skipped the motel food, but we ended up with junk food anyway: Me, a terrible muffin at Starbucks, my husband a bland breakfast at McDonald’s. He ate everything, but he wouldn’t put the corn syrup on his pancakes because he is furious with all corn products because of listening to my lectures about high fructose corn syrup.

How I adore him.

Home again
We were home by lunchtime. I had my usual breakfast ‘nanner and some iced green tea then a pot of Earl Grey; my husband had some leftover frozen food. By dinnertime, we were too exhausted to cook, so we got Chinese food.

For the rest of this week, I think I’d like to have salads.

Postscript
I very much want to tell you what we were hoping to get, but I am going to wait until we actually get it. I am going to wait because, in the meantime, I want to avoid any chance of getting flooded with mail from opportunistic crackpots. I also don't want to jinx our chances.

Our next opportunity should be in the fall. I'll tell you then, complete with details and glorious pictures and information if you want to do this, too.

It will be well worth the wait.