The perfect potato, or how Julia Child and Jacque Pepin take a simple potato and elevate it to art with, of course, a super easy recipe

Behold, the lowly potato. To my husband, nay, to many a man, it is a thing of beauty. A joy. A delight.

I am about to do something no one (well, no one outside of Julia Child and Jacques Pépin and those who read their books and a ton of French cooks and, erm, where was I?) has ever done before. I am about to introduce you to a new way, and possibly the best way, to cook potatoes.

My husband will weep.

Let me introduce you to Pommes Soufflées or, for the commoners among us (alas, of which I am surely one) Souffleéd Potatoes.

There is no more beautiful, joyous, and delightful sight than a wonderfully souffléed potato. It is a delight for the eyes, a treat for the tastebuds, a wonder for the tummy (erm, it is also a nightmare for the waistline, so I would reserve this for those special occasions such as, purely hypothetical mind you, when you, oh say, dent the top of the Mac purely by accident and it wasn't my fault, oh dear).

The recipe is from Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home (Knopf, 1999) by, of course, Julia Child and her trusty sidekick, Jacques Pépin. The inspiration, however, is from heaven.
The Julia Child and Jacques Pépin recipe for Souffleéd Potatoes
6–8 large russet potatoes
Vegetable oil
Salt

Peel the potatoes, then trim each into a uniform oblong with flat sides and bottom. Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes just a bit thicker than 1/8".

Pour oil into a large, heavy-bottomed pan to a depth of at least 1 1/2" and heat to 300°. Fry slices once, then fry a second and third time in hotter oil (375°) until they puff into golden, perfect pommes soufflées. Salt to taste and serve immediately.