My number one, absolutely indispensable, surefire method to help you go vegetarian

This took me a year to learn. Truly. And it is so simple that I spent the second year smacking myself in the head.

It is also so incredibly easy that, once you learn it, it will take you all of five seconds to put it into practice. In other words, this is so easy that you can become a vegetarian today.

That's pretty good, isn't it?

The secret to becoming vegetarian
Get over the three-part dinner.

Yep. That's it. That's all. It's as simple as that.

What? You want more? Okay then. Let me explain.

The standard three-part dinner
The three-part dinner we have all had drummed into our brains is one-third meat, one-third vegetables, and one-third carbohydrates.

Chicken-broccoli-rice. Steak-salad-potato. Fish-beans-rolls.

See how it works? And can you see how it will defeat you if you try to go vegetarian?

It took me a year to learn how to go vegetarian
This is so dumb, but I spent a year trying to make the three-part meal vegetarian. Which just meant substituting vegetables for the meat portion. But that so threw me off. I mean, now I had TWO vegetables on my plate. And that was wrong. Terribly, terribly wrong.

Boy, was I in trouble.

The big struggle
What was worse was I was trying to coordinate vegetables. So, erm, we got our rolls and we got our salad. So, now, what vegetable, instead of meat, goes with that? Or, we got our rice and we got our green beans. Now, what vegetable, again instead of meat, would coordinate?

I had no experience in coordinating vegetables. I mean, the three-part dinner never required that.

The breakthrough
One day, out of frustration, I just threw the three-part dinner out the window. I made baked penne with roasted vegetables for dinner and cherry clafoutis for dessert. And it worked! The next day, I made kale and potatoes for dinner and low fat lemon meringue treats for dessert. And the next, whipped carrots with my mother-in-law’s garlic green beans and cheddar and chive biscuits with the wholefood sponge cake with lemon butter and blueberries for dessert.

It worked! It was delicious! And, best of all, there were no complaints about the lack of meat!

I was onto something.

Is it that easy?
Mostly. I still slip into the what's the main item (the meat) and the two sides mindset. But no where near as often as I used to. And, when I do, once I recognize what I am doing, it is no big deal to, you know, just quit doing it!

* * * Guest post alert!
The last guest post went so well with the talented Amy of PETA fame, that I got you another. This one answers the question: How does a single family with two carnivores, one vegetarian, and one almost vegetarian manage day-to-day? Curious? Well, the answer will come tomorrow!