Haircare for the Almost Vegetarian: Three natural haircare lines And a contest to win for FREE!

Last week we looked at some great face products, such as the Suki carrot facial moisture serum, the Dr. Hauschka lip care stick, and the Pangea Organics Japanese matcha tea with acai & goji berry mask. Earlier this week, we looked at body products, including Egyptian Magic and the EO hand sanitizer.

And, today, we are looking at hair products.

(Hey, don't forget the contest. All the details are coming up!)

Let me introduce you to my little friend
John Masters Organics is a small line of hair care products. Don’t let the name fool you: According to their PR materials, “All final products must be 75 - 100 % organic.” So it is more “John Masters Mostly Organic” or “John Masters Alot Organic” which means, if you want purely organic product, this is not the line for you.

For the record, they also don’t insist that everything is certified organic, either. In fact, to revisit the PR material, we are told that ingredients are only certified organic “. . . whenever possible.”

But they are trying. So they get a gold star for that.

Dry hair nourishment and defrizzer
Okay, the scent of lavender (and not that sweet scent you get from chemical renditions, but that medicinal scent that tells you it is the real thing) is pretty strong. Take-a-step-back strong if you are not used to natural products. But the scent does go away very quickly, and yes, the John Masters Organics dry hair nourishment and defrizzer does a decent job on the frizzies. Even better, it does it without making my hair look oily, as other, similar type of products, can do.

Oh yes, and here are the first three ingredients from their ingredient list: Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) oil,* olea europaea (extra virgin olive) oil,* daucus carota (carrot) oil,* (the asterix means it is organic, so that is good).

Sea mist sea salt spray with lavender
My husband came home and said, "Your hair looks great." He hardly ever notices my hair, so that was amazing. Then he touched my hair and said, "Yuck."

Yes, the John Masters Organics sea mist sea salt spray with lavender gives you so much volume, you’ll look like you should be driving an SUV. But it also makes your hair feel so horribly dry and crisp, then if you bend a strand you will swear you can hear it snap.

And what a shame, too, because it had such a nice, short ingredient list: Aqua (purified, deionized water), maris sal (sea salt), hydrolyzed corn starch, essential oil of lavandula angustifolia (lavender)*.

Going for the green
I was captivated by the name of this line: Max Green Alchemy. Alchemy is such an interesting choice of word. I looked it up to be sure I know what it truly meant. Alchemy is a forerunner of chemistry. We are most familiar with it’s attempt to convert common metals into gold. An attempt that failed. Interesting, indeed.

As with John Masters Organics, Max Green Alchemy is also not totally organic. In fact, their site says “In addition to the wide variety of traditional essential oils and herbs (most of them organic), we employ modern plant-derived strategies like MSM for its outstanding toning and firming ability that are not yet available in organic form.”

But they, too, get points for trying.

Scalp rescue shampoo
Apparently designed for what seems to be everyone (“Best Suited For These Scalp Types and Conditions: Dry, Oily, Scaly, Flaky, Dehydrated, Itchy”), the
Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue shampoo is a perfectly fine, perfectly uneventful shampoo that, alas, left my hair feeling like straw.

Scalp rescue conditioner
Designed for the same massive group of people the shampoo is designed for (I don’t know if this is applicable here, but in marketing, the adage is you can’t be all things to all people; if you try, you end up doing nothing very successfully), the
Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue conditioner takes that nasty straw feeling away and gives you perfectly fine, perfectly uneventful conditioning.

Scalp Rescue Sculpting Styling Gel
The Scalp Rescue Sculpting Styling Gel did what gel is supposed to do: It gives hold and volume and deals with the frizzies. It doesn’t give anywhere near the volume as John Masters Organics Sea mist sea salt spray, but then, it also doesn’t leave your hair feeling anywhere near as dry and crisp. But it does feel like gel. Or, as my husband said when he tried to run his fingers through my hair “Oh! That’s not nice at all!”

And I like him to run his fingers through my hair.

I also happen to like it when he smells my hair. Something none of the
products above (or below; except one) encouraged.

Interestingly, the long ingredient lists for all three of the Max Green Alchemy products we discussed start with the same items: Purified Water, Aqueous Herbal Extract (Glycyrrhiza Glabra* (licorice) Root, Tussilago Farfara+ (coltsfoot) Leaf.

Hair today
So I know what you are asking: Did I have any luck at all with natural hair care products? And, you know, I did. Not totally, but some. At Aubrey Organics.

White Camellia Ultra Smoothing Shampoo
For starters, my husband did not recoil from the scent. This, of course, is a good thing. But, as with the Max Green Alchemy Scalp rescue shampoo, the White Camellia Ultra Smoothing Shampoo left my hair like straw.

Now why was this happening? Especially as this is specifically designed for dry hair? I don't know. Could it be the lack of sodium lauryl sulfate? I do know that the lack of sudsing meant I used a lot more product than usual so I could be sure I shampooed all my hair. And what about the conditioner? If you want my opinion on this conditioner, read what I wrote about the Max Green Alchemy conditioner. It's just the same.

And I had such high hopes for this one. On one hand, the ingredient list wasn't as long as some of the other products I had looked at. And there wasn't a lot of tongue-twisting items. In fact, the first three ingredients are Deionized Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans).

Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo
I was so discouraged by the White Camellia shampoo, I don't know why I bothered to try this one. But I did. And boy am I glad.

The Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo (and matching conditioner) were everything the white camellia products were not - they smelled wonderful, they were easy and pleasurable to use, and they left my hair soft and shiny and, well, pretty.

And while the honeysuckle is not the first ingredient. Or the second. Or the third. These spots being taken by the Deionized Water, Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans). It does show up sixth on the list.

And the moral of the story? If at first you don't succed, then, you know ...

Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Conditioning Mask
Now, this last shampoo was a hit. But before I found it, I gave my hair quite the beating and needed some help. So I picked up the Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Conditioning Mask. And it was perfect!

Interestingly,the blue green algae is the last item on the ingredient list (the first three items on this short list are Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Aloe Vera), meaning it has less of that than anything else. But it worked well. How well? It immediately made my hair softer and smoother. And (and this is the brilliant part), all that wholesome goodness lasted even after subsequent shampoos.

Of course, while it is on your hair, you won't want to open the door. To anyone!

Collagen & Almond Moisturizing Hand & Body Lotion
Again, as with many of these lines, there are also non haircare products worth looking at. Here, for example, the Collagen & Almond Moisturizing Hand & Body Lotion (the first three ingredients are Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, and Vegetable Glycerin, with the first type of almond oil coming next) is creamy, soft, and smells good. But, then I adore the smell of almonds. And, yes, it does make me want to run out and get a load of marzipan. Which I adore, too.

Enter the FREE contest tomorrow for a chance to win big!
It is finally here — the day I announce the big contest (well, technically, it is finally the day before the day I announce . . . oh, this is too complicated. Just come back tomorrow.)

Good luck!