Healthy fast foods: Polly wanna cracker

In the last post, we looked at Kashi cereal. We liked the cereal well enough to finish it, but not well enough to buy it again.

It did, however, prompt us to try another cereal, Kashi's 7 Whole Grain Flakes. But this wasn't anywhere near as tasty as the cereal we reviewed, so it's just sitting in just sat in the pantry, collecting dust.

So today we move away from cereal. Today, we try a Kashi cracker.

Crackers are a great standby. Give me a cracker and I can make a nice munch plate out of pretty much any leftovers just by cutting them up and dumping them on top (warning: does not work well with soup).

Which is why I always keep crackers in the house. And which is also why I was particularly interested in looking at Kashi's Stoneground 7 Grain Party Crackers.

What's in your cracker?
First, let's take a peek at the ingredients:
Wheat flour, whole wheat, toasted whole sesame seeds, extra virgin olive oil, cracked grain flour (rye meal, whole oats, wheat bran, stoneground whole wheat flour, barley flakes, degerminated yellow corn meal, whole millet, brown rice flour), kashi seven whole grains and sesame® flour (whole: oats, hard red winter wheat, rye, long grain brown rice, triticale, barley, buckwheat, sesame seeds), gum arabic, brown rice syrup, evaporated cane juice crystals, expeller pressed canola oil, wheat gluten, sea salt, malt extract, onion powder, potassium bicarbonate, molasses, natural flavor, whey
That's a lot of ingredients, which, as always, makes me a bit leery (especially when you compare it to an item from Mother Nature's kitchen like, oh, an apple, with it's one word ingredient list: Apple). Still, except for the three sugars (brown rice syrup, evaporated cane juice crystals, molasses) I've seen worse in other crackers.

And how does it taste?
Pretty good. Pretty good, indeed.

It's sturdy enough to be popped into the microwave without collapsing. Tasty enough to add a nice, rich flavor to an appetizer. And hearty enough to make a satisfying afternoon pick-me-up.

Still . . .
But, when I look at that ingredient list, I think, I can do better. In fact, I know I can do better. So I'm returning to my old standby cracker.

And even more . . .
And what about other Kashi foods? We'll look at more in our next post. Including cookies!