Recipe for the perfect almost vegetarian comfort food

Baby it's cold outside. Which means we could do with a little comfort food.

So, below, I've posted a recipe to my perfect comfort food. This one is my idea of heaven: Incredibly easy to make, incredibly delicious, vegetarian (as all comfort food must be), and the most comforting food I know.

Comfort food, almost vegetarian style
This is adapted from Laurie Colwin in her wonderful book More Home Cooking. She, in turn, adapted it from Jane Grigson's Good Things. And I, of course, adapted it for you.

Almost vegetarian recipe: Lemon Rice Pudding
Serves two if you want to share (sometimes I do; sometime I don't)

1/4 cup rice, jasmine or Basmati
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 pint half and half cream

Mix the rice, lemon zest, sugar, and cream and pour into a small, ovenproof dish. Cook, uncovered, at 250F for 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and stir in the lemon juice. If you need serious comfort, enjoy this warm. If you just need cool comfort, enjoy it chilled.