Recipe for delicious glazed carrots

This is a story about how I started with a kitchen disaster and ended with delicious glazed carrots.

How do I know they were delicious?

Everyone said so. Even my chef.

The carrots, the culinary school, and the cooking student
Let me set the picture for you: It is a Tuesday, just like every other Tuesday at cooking school. Except for one small thing. I had a cold. Not just any cold, mind you, but a chills-to-the-bone / can't-taste / can't-smell cold.

Which is a problem when you are a culinary school student.

This day, I was supposed to make glazed carrots. Which I did. But first I made terrible carrots.

And, yes, I have the recipe for you at the end.

Glazed carrots everyone loved
I have never glazed anything. Or, as far as I know, eaten anything glazed, outside of a doughnut. Which, in my humble opinion, is the only thing that ever should be glazed.

The recipe was simple: Cut up the carrots, dump them in a pot with enough water to cover them, add an enormous knob of butter, and throw in a goodly sprinkle of sugar. Simmer until the liquid was gone.

I took one look at that pot and knew those carrots were going to turn to mush. Still, the school selected this book, the chef picked this recipe, I was there to learn, so I followed the directions.

Chef took one look at that greasy water and told me to take the carrots out and reduce it. So I did.

And in, oh, ten or twenty minutes I had some seriously burnt butter. Down the drain it went. Scrub, scrub, the pot. And now, screw the recipe, screw anyone else giving me directions, I was going to do it the way I wanted to.

So I took a clean pan. I put in a smallish knob of butter and slowly heated it up. I sprinkled in some sugar. And when it was nice and warm, put in my parboiled carrots, and tossed.

Let them get warm. Added salt and pepper. Tasted. Could barely taste them. Damn.

So I asked Chef to taste them. She liked ‘em. I had my classmates taste ‘em. They like ‘em.

Was I ever relived that worked out.

Vegetarian recipe: Glazed carrots
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut (I cut my carrots on the diagonal, making elongated disks)
2 ounces butter
2 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper, to taste

Place the carrots in a pot with just enough water to cover. Simmer until they are just starting to soften, but still have some crunch in the center.

Drain.

Heat your sauté pan. Once it is hot, add the butter. When it is melted, add the carrots and sprinkle with the sugar.

When the first side is gently caramelized (turning brown), flip and allow the second side to caramelize. When the carrots are as tender as you like, add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve. Accept praise. Make the kids to the dishes.