Finally, a recipe for a lovely, non-alcoholic, refreshing drink

Here's what I say. I say: To hell with winter. I know summer has long since slipped away. But sometimes, just sometimes, I don't want it to go.

And when that happens. I make lemonade.But not just any lemonade. Oh no! I make raspberry lemonade.

And not just raspberry lemonade. I also made it with a special lemon curl I learned from a waiter who told me he summered on the coast and wintered in Arizona.

And I'm gonna teach you how to do both (not the summer / winter part; just the raspberry lemonade / lemon part).

And here's the great news: You can make this recipe with frozen berries!

Recipe for Raspberry Lemonade
First, defrost your raspberries. (Forgot to defrost them first? No worries, put them into your colander and run some cool water over them until they are defrosted. It happens.)

Step one: Simple syrup
Before you make the lemonade, you have to make a simple syrup. What is a simple syrup? A liquid sweetener you can use in any liquid where you want the sweetness of sugar without the grit, such as in cold drinks (ice tea, lemonade, etc.) where granulated sugar has no hope of dissolving.

To make the simple syrup for my lemonade, I mixed 1 cup granulated white sugar and 1/2 cup water (you can make any amount you like as long as you keep the ratio one part water : two parts sugar) in a small saucepan. I placed the saucepan over a medium heat for five minutes, stirring periodically to dissolve the sugar. Then, once the sugar was completely dissolved, I instantly poured the syrup into a glass mason jar. (Ideally, you would clean your pot right away otherwise, as it cools, any leftover syrup in your pot will harden and be impossible to remove. However, if you forget and your syrup does harden, just fill your pot with hot water and give it a few minutes to liquefy your syrup yet again.)

Step two: Lemonade
I had about ten lemons on hand, so I squeezed them all into a strainer set over a bowl. The reason I squeezed them into a strainer was I wanted to catch any errant pulp and seeds that squeezed out with the juice. Discard pulp and seeds.

Step three: Raspberries
Put your defrosted frozen raspberries (I used more than half the bag) into a strainer set over a bowl. Then mash the raspberries against the side of the strainer with a wooden mixing spoon until you have mashed most of the juice out of the raspberry pulp (you’ll never get it all; don’t drive yourself nuts trying).

Step four: Mix and taste
Add about half your simple syrup and raspberry juice to your lemon juice. Add a splash of water (about a cup). Stir. Taste. Add more syrup and raspberry juice and water, as needed. I used about three-quarters of my syrup (my husband poured the rest right into his glass of lemonade; the man has a sweet tooth) and all my raspberry juice (I like the color). But you add as much or as little as your taste buds dictate.

Serve over ice. With a curl of lemon. Oh dear, you don't know how to make the lemon? No worries, because I'll teach you!

How to make a perfectly spiraled lemon strip as told to me by a very sweet, very talkative waiter
First, he cut off the pointy ends of a lemon. Then he sliced one side of the lemon open, from one end to the next, and scooped out the lemon part, leaving just a rectangle of peel behind.

Then he curled that rectangle as tightly was he could, secured it with a toothpick or two, and left it overnight.

The next day, he chiffonaide that peel into half inch strips that were perfect spirals.

See, it feels like summer hasn't gone at all, doesn't it? (Well, if you have to crank up the heat make that more real, then go ahead!)