Recipe for a grown-up tea party

Sometimes, just sometimes, I want a little treat.

Now, I've been making French yogurt cakes for years. But, then, I thought, wouldn't they make for sweet little cupcakes?

There were a few trials and errors (my earlier versions tended to be way, way too sweet). But these, I think, are perfect.

They are insanely easy to make (and, erm, eat!), nice and light (especially for a cake), and incredibly scrumptious.

And they are as close to healthy as a cake can get. So enjoy!

Recipe for Blueberry Yogurt Cakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
1 cup whole, plain, unsweetened yogurt
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
8 ounces frozen blueberries (no need to defrost)

Preheat your oven to 350° F. Put cupcake liners into your cupcake molds.

In a large mixing bowl, combine your beaten eggs, yogurt, sugar, oil, and vanilla. In a second bowl, sift your flour, baking powder, and baking soda. In a third bowl, toss your frozen blueberries with a generous handful of your flour mixture.

Add your flour mixture to your wet ingredients, stirring with a rubber spatula only until it is starting to combine. Add your blueberry mixture and stir until it is just mixed.

Pour the batter into your cupcake molds.

Bake until you cakes are a light golden-brown on top and an inserted toothpick comes out cleanly. In my oven, this took just over twenty minutes. Two tips: I turned my cake pans (I used two six-cupcake pans set on a baking sheet) around at the ten-minute mark for even cooking. Not a bad idea. Second, I set my timer for fifteen minutes, then kept checking the cupcakes ever few minutes until they were done. Ovens are fickle things, I would never trust a timer to do my job!

Once your cakes have cooled, serve with a nice, hot pot of black tea. After, of course, testing at least two or three, just to make sure they are perfect.

You can never be too careful, now, can you?!

(By the way, I have made these with all sorts of frozen fruits, including raspberries and cherries. The cherries were a bit big for this, but tasty nonetheless. Next time, I want to try toasted, sliced almonds with the raspberries; doesn't that sound yummy!)

What do you make when you want a little sweet? I'm always looking for ideas!